The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World
Dedicated October 28, 1886
Copper, steel (concrete and granite base)
Unknown photographer for Department of Agriculture, 1927
Excerpt from Statue of Liberty National Monument - National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior:
Liberty Enlightening the World
"The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World" was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the United States and is recognized as a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886. It was designated as a National Monument in 1924. Employees of the National Park Service have been caring for the colossal copper statue since 1933.
Did you know?
The Statue’s original torch was the first part constructed in 1876. In 1984 it was replaced by a new copper torch covered in 24K gold leaf which is lighted by floodlight at night. The original torch is currently located in the lobby of the monument. Access to the torch has been closed since 1916.
Information on history and visiting the Statue of Liberty National Monument
Information on sculptor Auguste Bartholdi
Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi, French, (1834–1904)
b. April 2, 1832, Colmar, France
Art in Context - Projects:
Art in Context - Art for the Day: April 2